Friday, June 7, 2019
AUGUSTA, GA (WRDW/WAGT) -- Veterans will get the opportunity to get the healthcare they need after President Donald Trump signed an updated law.
The VA MISSION Act now has six criteria veterans have to meet to get healthcare treatment from wherever they need.
1. Veteran Needs a Service Not Available at a VA Medical Facility
2. Veteran Lives in a U.S. State or Territory Without a Full-Service VA Medical Facility
3. Veteran Qualifies under the “Grandfather” Provision Related to Distance Eligibility for the Veterans Choice Program
4. VA Cannot Furnish Care within Certain Designated Access Standards
5. It Is in the Veteran’s Best Medical Interest
6. A VA Medical Service Line Does Not Meet Certain Quality Standards
Before now, criteria to get care would often vary from one VA program to another.
Now, the six criteria will be recognized across the nation and make it easier if a veteran needs to receive care outside of a VA hospital.
Copyright 2019 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved