AUTOPSY: "Don't touch the door, Mommy was shocked," child warns dad after motel electrocutions

By  | 

ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WITN) - Tragic new details in electrocution deaths of a mother and her young daughter at a Rocky Mount motel last summer.

An autopsy confirms that Kendra Pittman, 30, and Siiyahh, her 9-year-old daughter, were killed on August 20th because of a faulty air conditioner at the Economy Inn Hotel and Suites in Rocky Mount.

The autopsy, which was released today, says Pittman's husband went to pay the rent for the room and to tell them the air conditioning wasn't working in the room.

The motel clerk reset a breaker, the autopsy said, and as the father walked back to the room he could hear the air conditioner running and his 10-year-old son yelling "Don't touch the door, Mommy was shocked."

The man kicked in the door and found his wife and daughter collapsed on the floor.

The boy later told investigators that his mother touched the door handle to go outside to tell her husband that the air conditioning was working again.

The autopsy says the mother stiffened and became unresponsive. The boy knocked her body away from the door and was trying to awakened her when his sister then touched the door handle and also stiffened, according to the report.

The autopsy lists Pittman's cause of death as electrocution.