UPDATE | Woman indicted on animal cruelty charges accused in puppy's death

By  | 

Monday, Sept. 7, 2015

GROVETOWN, Ga. (WRDW) -- A woman accused of beating her 3-month-old puppy death has been indicted on an aggravated cruelty to animals charge.

Stephanie Barfield, 26, was indicted on Wednesday in a Columbia County Courtroom. Her husband, Jacob Barfield, turned her in after he said he got a text from her saying she hurt the dog and it was probably going to die.

The incident report states the husband found the dog with a little blood on its mouth and then later found the it laying in a pool of its own blood not breathing.

News 12 at 6 o'clock / June 12, 2015

GROVETOWN, Ga. (WRDW) -- Jacob Barfield loves his dogs, Prometheus and Achilles.

He and his wife Stephanie also had a 3 month old mutt, Wally, until 2 days ago.

Barfield got a text message from his wife. In it, he says Stephanie admitted she hurt the dog, it was probably going to die, and she blacked out.

The incident report shows the husband returned home to discover the dog had a little blood on it's mouth. He assumed it would be fine, although the second time he returned, he found the dog, lying in a pool of it's own blood, not breathing.

Animal Control ruled the puppy died from internal bleeding from traumatic injuries.

Stephanie, he says, had a troubled past and a troubled present. But he says it's never been this bad.

"Recently there was an incident where she lost her job. That job was what was keeping her going," he said.

Stephanie Barfield is now behind bars, with a more than $10,000 bond for cruelty to animals.

"What I'm contemplating is whether or not she knew what she was doing," said her husband.

Friday, June 12, 2015

GROVETOWN, Ga. (WRDW) -- A Grovetown woman is charged with animal cruelty for causing her family's puppy to die from internal bleeding.

According to the incident report, Stephanie Barfield, 26, told an officer she "popped" the dog, Wally, because he was chewing on the furniture. She said she did not beat the dog though.

The officer responded to the home on Gulkana Court Wednesday after Barfield's husband, Jacob Barfield, said he found the dog dead in a large pool of blood.

Jacob Barfield told Public Safety he came home prior to finding the dog dead and said he noticed blood on the dog's mouth. He said thought the dog would be okay.

The couple left the home and when they returned, the dog had died.

Public Safety called for Animal Control officers to assist in the investigation. They said Stephanie Barfield hit the dog hard enough to cause internal bleeding and its death.