Firefighters say Bible pulled from house fire is 'a miracle'

The family's Bible was of the few things that survived a house fire in Dearing, Ga. (WRDW-TV / Jan. 6, 2012)
By  | 

News 12 at 11 o'clock / Friday, Dec. 6, 2012

DEARING, Ga. -- Bernice Hunt's Bible was pulled from the ashes without a charred edge or a burnt page. The only damage at all was a little moisture from the fire hoses.

But it certainly isn't the way she planned to start 2012.

Hunt told News 12, "I ran downstairs and went to get my son and tell him fire! Fire! Fire!"

The home she lived in for 20 years caught fire and destroyed most of her belongings.

"It's a miracle I didn't get hurt, and my son didn't get hurt," Hunt said.

And that isn't the only miracle.

A firefighter pulled her family Bible from the ashes unscathed.

Christopher Hinton, the firefighter from McDuffie County that discovered the Bible, told News 12, "Everything beside the Bible, and on the Bible was burnt, so I moved it. And the Bible was wet and cold."

It was sitting on Hunt's nightstand, which was in the corner of her bedroom. All that is left of that corner now is a pile of rubble.

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, it was a miracle," Hinton said.

And this Bible is something special to the family.

"It's a family heirloom," Hunt said.

Hunt's son Dellwyn, who also in the house when it caught fire, says the Bible belonged his father, who passed away in 1991.

Life hasn't been easy for Hunt. She lost her husband, she was diagnosed with cancer, survived open heart surgery, and now this.

But Hunt says she has always and will always keep the faith.

"We thankful and grateful. And everything else, it'll fall into place sooner or later," Hunt said.

Her son says there is only one explanation.

"Just the Lord. It's gotta be," he said.

The family is in need of clothing and household items. If you are interested in helping, you can contact Tish Davis, Hunt's niece, at (706) 627-7190.