12 OYS: Father loses job over speeding ticket paid 17 years ago

By  | 

News 12 at 6 o'clock / January 20, 2015

AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WRDW) -- John Nettles said his love for his job is as high as the poles that he climbs. That livelihood depends on being able to drive for a living. "I contract out for power companies. I do power line work," said Nettles.

Now Nettles is looking for another job. The future is up in the air for the father of two after he got laid off last month.

"I couldn't drive. Insurance regulations wouldn't let me drive. There was something on my background," said Nettles. So, because he could not drive, his employer said he could not work. He went to get a copy of his South Carolina driving record dating back to 2011. That is when he noticed a problem.

"I discovered I had a ticket on my MVR dated from 17-years ago," said Nettles. A speeding ticket from 1997, that was only added to his driving record about 2 years ago. "I was very, very upset," said Nettles.

He said he complained to DMV, but was told he needed to contact the Ehrhardt Police Department where he received that ticket. News 12 wanted to know what caused a nearly 20 year delay in that ticket reaching DMV records.

"In 2012 we had gotten audited by the DMV, for a number of traffic tickets that had never been submitted," said Police Chief Chad Dilling. He said Nettles' citation was among them. While this was before Dilling's time, he said he found out about the mix up by accident. "The organization was just not there. I found them (tickets) in folders and in ticket books," said Dilling.

All misplaced in a storage unit years ago. But Dilling said Nettles has a some other blemishes on his driving record. Dilling said if you want to make sure your driving record is up to speed, a 3-year report just is not enough. "If you have any questions about your driving record, I would always request a 10-year record. Something Nettles said he will know for next time, as he searches for a new job. "I'm a fighter. I'm a survivor. I will find something out there," said Nettles.

DMV says once a ticket has gone through the court system, you are basically out of luck. But, you can take your complaint to a judge in the original court and ask to have it removed.