Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2018
News 12 First at Five
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- Monica Roberson’s roll in the admissions department is to enroll students. Recently, the school she was employed by, closed its doors. Tearfully, she explains the truth of it all.
“It's right before Christmas time so nobody really knows what it is that they're going to do without their job,” she says.
A time for giving turned to a time of taking when Virginia College shut down, leaving students scrambling to transfer schools and employees without their jobs.
"Being a single mother of three, I'm their sole provider and so it's like OK what to do now, it's right before the holidays. A lot of employers are not going to be hiring due to the holidays,” says Latasha Holmes, former Admissions Representative for VC.
Tyrone Scott is the director over at Unisys.
"With this closing, I'm sure there is a lot of anxiety out in those families that are being impacted," he says.
When UNiSYS heard what happened they wanted to help, so this year, they're wrapping up presents in the form of jobs.
When we heard of this news we definitely felt that we could help the community out by going ahead and doing a job fair now for those who were displaced," says Getina Cato, HR.
Latasha Holms, says she’ll be there. "That is so wonderful and such a blessing, you know what I'm saying that will open a lot of doors for a lot of people."
Losing her job wasn’t the only thing Latasha lost.
"I have lost my insurance, no health insurance, no dental insurance, you know everything is just gone,” she says.
So hearing UNiSYS offers day one insurance was music to her ears. 40 openings up for grabs to join this team and the goal is to get them hired before Christmas.
"That would be a tremendous blessing to have a job right before the holidays knowing that everything is taken care of," says Latasha.
This job fair is tomorrow morning from 10 to 2 at the UNiSYS building downtown. They’re hiring a range of positions and even say if you don't’ have all the credentials they’re willing to provide training.
Here's what you should know before you go:
- Competitive pay
- Monthly Bonus potential
- Benefits starting day 1
- Part-time and Full-time positions available
- Some positions require secret or higher security clearances
- Initial point of contact for customers via telephone, email or live chat to provide technical support of hardware, systems, sub-systems and/or applications
- Provides technical support of hardware, systems, sub-systems and/or applications.
- Assists with navigating around application menus, may be required to remote into customer's computer.
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues, working with remote employees on a corporate network.
- Develops and sustains a productive customer relationship, making the customer and their needs a primary focus.
- Offers alternative solutions where appropriate with the objective of retaining customers' and clients' business.
- Escalates complex problems to the Remote Support Engineering staff or Field Engineering when appropriate.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Previous computer technical support preferred.