One dead after Gordon Hwy crash; "that's somebody's son, brother, loved one"

By  | 

Sunday March 10, 2019
News 12 at 6 O'Clock

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT)-- Stephanie McCue says it's not the first time she pulled up at work to a line of red flags across the front lawn.

"I'm heartbroken," McCue said. "It happens quite often here. A lot of accidents and speeding happens right here."

And it's not the first time someone lost a life just feet from her building at Tri-State Distributors.

"Richmond County police officers and blue lights. You see wrecks," McCue said.

That was the case this morning at 3:00 a.m. when Richmond County deputies say 33-year-old Ruben Johnson died on the corner of Wilkinson Road.

"Cars come flying off into here, co-workers cars have been wrecked," McCue said. "It's dangerous, it really is. People are not doing 45 miles an hour."

Deputies say Ruben was driving out of Augusta on Gordon Highway and going pretty fast. He lost control of the car and hit a concrete utility pole.

Witnesses say the car flipped three times before it landed.

"That's somebody's son, brother, loved one," McCue said. "They're gone."

This morning, Ruben's brother returned to the scene with a part of his world gone. He says Ruben was a good brother and an even better father.

Stephanie says it breaks her heart.

"Life is precious and you only have one."

She says she hopes this is a wake up call.

"It takes something so serious like this to happen sometimes to bring light to the matter because it is dangerous on this road. It's sad that it takes a life and it takes something so tragic."

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT)-- The Richmond County Sheriff's Office says one man is dead after a single vehicle crash early this morning on Gordon Highway near Wilkinson Road.

The Richmond County Coroner's Office identified that man as 33-year-old Ruben Johnson of Augusta. Deputies say the fatal accident happened at 3:19 a.m. when a car was traveling west on Gordon Highway, left the roadway and struck a concrete utility pole.

Johnson was pronounced dead at 4:10 a.m on the scene. No autopsy will be done as cause of death is blunt force trauma.

RCSO is still investigating the accident.