Wednesday, January 16, 2019
(WRDW/WAGT) – As the partial government shutdown has reached day 26, people employed by some government agencies are hurting without their paycheck. About 800,000 people nationwide received $0 on their pay stub last Friday.
Because of the shutdown, companies and organizations are offering help and waiving fees for those affected. We’ve compiled a list of some of the companies reaching out, and some job opportunities locally for furloughed workers.
Local Job Opportunities
- Uber and Lyft: Uber and Lyft ride-sharing are two companies that are constantly hiring across the country for drivers. Anyone looking for extra cash can sign up through their apps or online.
- Goodwill: Goodwill Staffing Services are working to help furloughed workers in need of a job. Goodwill is hiring those workers for positions from manufacturing, retail and administrative to hospitality and allied health.
- Labor Finders of Augusta: The Labor Finders are looking to help furloughed workers find new positions with their 200 staffing offices.
The Family Y
The Greater Augusta YMCA is offering day passes to furloughed federal workers amid the shutdown. For those workers who are already members, they are suspending dues. Anyone affected should go to your nearest Y with federal ID for help.
- SCE&G: SCE&G is reminding its electric and gas customers they may be eligible for assistance through a company program. Budget Billing provides a "more predictable" bill every month, and SCE&G also partners with the community for a low-income home assistance program. That program helps those customers in need meet their heating and/or cooling needs.
- Mobile phone providers: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint have all said their customer service representatives are willing to work with furloughed employees for late fees and bill pay extensions.
Verizon Wireless: 1 (800) 922-0204
Sprint: 1 (866) 275-1411
AT&T: 1 (800) 331-0500
T-Mobile: 1 (800) 866-2453
- Banks: Most banks we have reached out to have said they are willing to offer help to those going unpaid.
Chase Bank: 888-356-0023
Bank of America: 1 (800) 432-1000
Wells Fargo: 1 (800) 869-3557
Fifth-Third Bank: 1 (800) 972-3030
SRP Credit Union: 1 )800) 237-9829
Capital One: 1 (877) 383-4802
SunTrust: 1 (800) 786-8787
The Georgia Power Foundation is donating $50,000 to St. Vincent de Paul Georgia to help with furloughed workers and contractors throughout Georgia. Families will be able to use the fund by submittong a request to email@example.com.
Each request must include the requestor’s name, contact information (address, email and phone number) and a summary of why you need the money. A caseworker will respond within 24 hours of the submission.
Tabernacle Baptist Church - Augusta
TBC is hosting a gift card drive for furloughed employees. Anyone who wants topurchase and donate gift cards of about $25 or more can bring them to the church office or put it in the offering during service on Sunday, January 27th.
3310 Commerce Dr., Augusta
81 Capital Dr., Aiken
Augusta Rescue Mission
520 Walker St., Augusta
Augusta First Church of the Nazarene
2044 Lumpkin Rd., Augusta