Wednesday, Feb. 27, 2019
One light pole we tested with the help of utility company found over 100 volts emitting from it.
AUGUSTA, Ga (WRDW/WAGT) -- City utility workers say they've located several more poles in the area that emit a "low amount of voltage" after a News 12 investigation into shock hazards.
In all, workers located another 12 poles that emit voltage out of more than 5,000 city-owned light poles they say were installed under "older, less stringent standards" than those required today.
"I am measuring more than 100 volts on this pole," Mark Voigtsberger with Utility Testing and Geographic Information Systems said during our initial investigation. "So this pole is a safety hazard."
City leaders have been working to improve safety with light poles in the area in the wake of 12-year-old Melquan Robinson. Robinson died last year when he was electrocuted by a city park fence.