UPDATE | Dynasty Care Home owner denied bond

By  | 

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- The owner of an unlicensed personal care home has been denied bond. The judge says she is a flight risk.

April Paulk is facing multiple charges for neglect of a disabled adult, exploitation of a disabled adult and obstruction of justice.

Edward Dath was found dead inside Dynasty Personal Care Home behind a bedroom door in February.

Upon further investigation, it was found that Dath was denied medications, with no explanation as to why. Paulk had been paid over $6,000 in three months for that resident's care.

Prosecutors say there are still two people missing from Personal Care Home Paulk operated. Paulk says she does not know where they are.




Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- Authorities say they have arrested April Paulk.

Warrants had been issued back in January after a man was found dead while under the care of Paulk, who was the owner of a personal care home, and another staff member.


Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- Warrants have been issued for the arrest of the owner and a member of the staff from a personal care home in Augusta where one man was found dead last year.

According to the Augusta C.A.V.E unit, the owner of Dynasty Personal Care Home, April Paulk, never returned to the home the day of the July 2017 incident and had been evading authorities ever since. Investigators responded to the home at 1938 Kings Grant Drive in reference to a deceased resident that day. At the residence, they also found five other residents living there without a qualified caregiver.

A member of the staff at the home, Joseph Johnson, claimed to barely know April Paulk and said he was just a member of staff that had been left at the home for three days prior to the death. Investigators soon learned that Johnson was in fact married to Paulk, and had been since Feb. 14, 2017.

Upon further investigation, it was found the deceased resident was denied medications, with no explanation as to why. Paulk had been paid over $6,000 in three months for that resident's care.

Investigators also learned Paulk had been using the other residents' identities to set up phone and internet lines for herself without their permission. The phone line for Dynasty Personal Care Home was actually in the name of one of the residents.

Paulk is facing six counts of neglect of a disabled or elderly adult, three counts of exploitation of a disabled or elderly adult, two counts of identity theft, and one count of obstructing the investigation. Johnson is facing charges of neglect of a disabled or elderly adult, and two counts of making false statements in a government investigation.



Clarification: In our original reports of this story about Dynasty Care Group, the owner of another personal care home was shown. Allean Moseby of Moseby Personal Care Home, says she was picking up a client to take to her care home and was shown in news broadcasts. Ms. Moseby says she nor Moseby Personal Care Home is associated with the Dynasty Care Group.


Wednesday, July 26, 2017

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- After a massive investigation centered on a personal care home death of 59-year-old Edward Dath, several new developments have surfaced.

Richmond County authorities have responded to Dynasty Care Group 15 times since 2014. Seven of those 15, though, are just from this year alone.

Since 2016, the group home has had four residents wander or go missing.

What's more, a report was filed earlier this year against the owner for financial transaction fraud on a resident living at the home.

Still, two weeks ago the Georgia Department of Human Services placed a call pertaining to a resident in a soiled diaper answering the door, as well as a caretaker at Dynasty sleeping in a room drunk. The residents, also, told the deputy they were hungry and had not eaten.



News 12 NBC 26 at 11 O'Clock / Tuesday, July 25, 2017

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- A massive investigation centered around a personal care home after the death of a 59-year-old man. The coroner says members of the staff found Edward Dath dead this morning.

"We come home from the mall around 2:30, 3 o'clock. I mean, it was covered up in that corner," said Janice Whitaker, who lives near Kings Grant Drive.

The street was covered with Richmond County deputies, the District Attorney's Office and code enforcement investigating the death of 59-year-old Edward Dath who was found dead this morning by a staff member inside a personal care home.

"I knew it was a group home, but other than that I didn't know anything," said Whitaker.

What we do know is that the Department of Community Health lists the owner as Dynasty Care Group. The licensed capacity for the facility is six people, and code enforcement found enough violations to condemn the building.

"The neighborhood is not like it used to be. It seems to me like it's going down," said Whitaker.

In the past few months, personal care homes have also been a topic of discussion for Augusta commissioners. The District Attorney's office is helping to create a task force to enforce guidelines for personal care home. But for right now, the District Attorney says a man is dead. Dynasty Care Group is suspended, and this investigation is just getting underway.


Tuesday, July 25, 2017

AUGUSTA, G.A. (WRDW/WAGT) -- After a death early this morning, the Dynasty Personal Care Home has suspended operation.

Immediately following 9 a.m. this morning, the Coroner’s Office was called to the personal care home in reference to a death. Fifty-nine-year- old Edward Emile Dath was pronounced dead at the residence at 9:35 a.m.

An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of death. Dath was last seen alive at the personal care home by a staff member according to Mark Bowen, the Richmond County Coroner.

Several agencies assisted with the investigation -- and continue to investigate -- including the District Attorney’s Office, Sheriff’s Office, Code Enforcement, Department of Public Health and the Fire Department Inspector.



AUGUSTA, G.A. (WRDW/WAGT) -- There is an ongoing death investigation from this morning.

The death happened at a personal care home, 1938 Kings Grant Drive. The call was about 9:30 a.m. according to Richmond County coroner Mark Bowen.

On the scene were the health department and representatives from the District Attorney's Office.

We are still trying to confirm other details.