After 12-year-old boy dies, mom arrested and charged with murder, cruelty

Jasmine Camp
Jasmine Camp(WRDW)
Published: Jun. 8, 2020 at 9:56 AM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Monday, June 8, 2020

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) -- An Augusta woman was arrested on suspicion of murder and first-degree cruelty after her 12-year-old son died following physical punishment, according to authorities.

The boy, Derrick Camp, of the 600 block of Forest Ridge Place, was transported to Augusta University Medical Center on Sunday. He was pronounced dead at 9:22 p.m.

His mother, Jasmine Camp, 32, was arrested on suspicion of cruelty to children in the first degree and murder while in commission of a felony, according to the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

He died after punishments carried out after the mother found nude selfie on his phone, authorities said she told them.

According to the arrest warrant released by the Richmond County Sheriff''s Office, the boy died after “the accused struck the victim multiple times with an extension cord all over his body, slammed him into the wall at least twice causing his head to hit a wall, slammed him into a corner of a door frame by his hair, and kicked him in the chest twice.”

She also forced him to do military style squats while holding a book and push-ups until he collapsed, according to the warrant.

He was taken to a hospital after he told her he'd fallen off a bunk bed, authorities said the mother told them.

In reporting its involvement in the case, the Richmond County Coroner's Office cited a head injury and several healing injuries.

Coroner Mark Bowen said the boy's body has been sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation for an autopsy.

How the case unfolded

According to a copy of the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report obtained by News 12, a deputy responded at about 8:59 p.m. Sunday to the hospital to investigate a case of possible child abuse.

Authorities said they learned that the boy had been punished after his mother found a nude photo of him on his mobile device.

The deputy reported that she said she whipped him on his legs with a belt and made him do squats against a wall for 30 minutes. If he failed to maintain that position, he would have to start over from the beginning, according to the report.

While she was in the bathroom, the mother heard a loud thump and later directly to a nearby grocery store, she told the deputy. She said that when she returned home, she noticed a bump and blood on the left side of Derrick’s head. She said he told her he fell off the bunk bed. She said he appeared to act unlike himself and that he was speaking slowly.

She said she saw his chest start to swell and could hear a rattling noise coming from his chest. She stated Derrick has asthma so she went to go get his inhaler for him, according to the deputy’s report.

She said the inhaler only had about four squirts left in it. She stated that after giving Derrick his inhaler, he was still not responding to her, so she laid him down and started blowing air from her mouth to his mouth. She said brown and red fluids came out of his mouth. She stated she laid Derrick on his side and went to the neighbor’s residence to seek help.

She said she does not personally know the neighbor but she needed a ride to the hospital, according to the deputy. She stated she called 911 in route to the hospital. She stated she began CPR on Derrick with 911 dispatchers guiding her over the phone.

She stated that was advised by dispatchers to pull into a parking lot at 3204 Peach Orchard Road where emergency medical crews would meet her. She stated that Derrick’s eyes were dilated and he had a faint pulse, according to the deputy. She further stated that the boy was still vomiting brown liquid and he was attempting to gasp for air. She stated that when an ambulance arrived, the medical responders would not let her inside the ambulance with Derrick.

The mother stated that she, her neighbor and a man described at times in the incident report as her fiance followed the ambulance to the hospital.

The deputy made contact with a member of the emergency medical crew, who said the mother’s demeanor was unusual for someone in the circumstances, according to the report from the deputy. The emergency medical crew member said she was calm and didn’t appear to be concerned or have any sense of urgency of getting Derrick help, the deputy’s report stated.

The emergency medical captain said the original call from the mother stated that her son was unresponsive after suffering a seizure.

The deputy contacted the Georgia Division of Family & Children Services to report possible child abuse, according to the deputy’s report.

At the hospital, a doctor spoke to the deputy and two investigators, according to the report.

The boy was later pronounced dead, according to Bowen.

After further questioning, Jasmine Camp was arrested, according to the sheriff's agency.

Copyright 2020 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.