Family holds to faith after losing their house to a fire

By  | 

Monday, March 19, 2018
News 12 @ 6 O'clock / NBC 26 News at 7

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) -- A little over a week ago this home went up in flames. Only ashes and rubble remain. A nightstand in the bedroom is covered in debris, but one thing on that nightstand survived.

"Hebrews 13:5 and be content with such things as he have, for he has said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee."

Wendy Crawley reads her favorite verse from her Bible one of the only things that survived a fire that took her home.

"It was completely unprotected. It was wide open. All the things around it were burned. Everything in there was destroyed, and there laid my bible," Crawley said.

Ten days ago the home Wendy and her family lived in for 17 years caught fire and destroyed everything. She can still hear the cracking of the fire when she closes her eyes.

"I think I was numb, I couldn't believe it. It didn't hit me for about 3 days."

So she was shocked days later when they were walking through the ashes to find a bible. The bible that sat on her nightstand always there to remind her to find the good in every situation.

"It has some smoke damage and the pages were completely wet, but there's not a page destroyed."

Now in a time where they're picking up the pieces, she's thankful for this sign of faith.

"It's easy to find God when things are going good, but when you step in the midst of all of that and find him, it's comforting."

Firefighters think the culprit of the fire is space heaters.

Wendy says this has only strengthened her faith and couldn't stress enough how thankful she is to her friend’s, even strangers, bringing her and her family clothes, gift cards for food and much more.

Wendy says they're taking it day by day. They are staying with her parents for now but plan to rebuild right here in this spot.