Bond decision delayed for parents in 2nd child’s death

Published: Nov. 10, 2022 at 10:50 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Bond hearings were postponed Thursday for two parents arrested for the second time in two years over a baby’s suspicious death.

The decision on bond for both Salena Tyler and Tyrone Scott was delayed until an official hearing on Jan. 5, the 85th day after the arrest, for a review of further evidence as it comes in.

Samson Scott, 6 months old, was pronounced dead at 11:11 p.m. on Oct. 18 at Augusta University Medical Center.

Scott and Tyler are being held in Richmond County jail on charges of cruelty to children in the second degree.

Samson was the brother of Travis Scott, who died on Feb. 13, 2021, after the parents were accused of repeatedly turning off the ventilator of the boy who’d been born prematurely.

Just a little over two weeks before Samson died, charges were dropped against them in Travis’ death.

Documents from prosecutors state that “although there appears to be probable cause for the issuance of the warrant, there does not appear to be sufficient evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.”

“What I have done is reschedule your hearing for no later than Jan. 5. At which time, I will receive all of the information that will have been gathered by the district attorney and certainly by your lawyers as well,” said Judge Daniel Craig.

The decision comes after both sides presented their case.

Defense Attorney Zach Goolsby told the court the state is on a fishing expedition, and this case will play out the same way as the first one.

“This last time he was here, he got out on bond. And once again, they’ve had nothing to support that and that’s why they’ve not gone forward. I believe the facts, once again, will happen that way,” he said.

The defense describes Tyrone as a good father, who has two other children, not with Tyler, and has never done anything to hurt them.

Assistant District Attorney Kevin Davis said: “I share that judge to give you a history of what has happened with these two parents. It is very concerning that they’re back here in a similar posture. In that case, because there was medical report itself was an undetermined cause, we were not able to go forward. We did not have sufficient proof that they had contributed to that child. So those charges were dismissed on Oct. 7.”

But the judge is asking for the evidence.

Craig said: “You don’t have any x-rays, 22 days later, you don’t have any lab reports.”

Samson was found unresponsive after enduring “extreme living conditions” in his home at 1906 Watkins St., according to authorities.

Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen says the death has been ruled suspicious, and an autopsy has been scheduled.

He said it could be months before the results are available.