Rick Allen fends off challenge to hang onto U.S. House seat
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Republican Rick Allen won re-election Tuesday to U.S. House in Georgia’s 12th Congressional District.
Allen fought off a challenge from Elizabeth Johnson, of Bulloch County.
Allen, R-Augusta, was elected to Congress in 2014 after spending his career starting and building his own business, the construction company R.W. Allen & Associates. Democrat Johnson is also a business owner.
With 99% of votes counted Wednesday morning, Allen had 157,936 votes vs. 107,079 for Johnson.
“I am deeply grateful for the continued trust and confidence of the people of the 12th District of Georgia,” Allen said Tuesday night. “It’s no secret that our nation is on the wrong track – but tonight’s victory means that together, we cannot only meet the challenges before us, but overcome them.”
He said he remains “laser-focused on tackling the top issues facing American families” like rising prices, strengthening the economy, energy independence, national security “and protecting the freedoms on which our great nation was founded.”
He said he would also “continue to fight for the priorities of the 12th District like securing funding for Fort Gordon and the Savannah River Site, expanding rural broadband, and supporting our farmers and rural America.”
He concluded: “A brighter, more hopeful future is on the horizon--and we will build it together!”
Elsewhere in Georgia, U.S. Rep. Nikema Williams won re-election to Georgia’s 5th Congressional District in urban Atlanta.
Williams, the incumbent in a heavily Democratic district, defeated Republican Christian Zimm in the state’s 2022 midterm elections. The district was represented by the late John Lewis for more than three decades.
Meanwhile, Democratic Rep. Sanford Bishop was re-elected to a 16th term over Republican challenger Chris West.
Voters in southwest Georgia’s 2nd District decided to keep 75-year-old Bishop amid persistent inflation and low approval of President Joe Biden.
West argued unsuccessfully it was time to retire the Democratic congressman.
Bishop insisted his seniority means more federal dollars go to his constituent farmers and military bases.
In other Georgia congressional races:
- Republican Barry Loudermilk won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 11th Congressional District.
- Republican Buddy Carter won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 1st Congressional District.
- Democrat Lucy McBath won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 7th Congressional District.
- Democrat Hank Johnson won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 4th Congressional District.
- Democrat David Scott won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 13th Congressional District.
- Republican Andrew Clyde won re-election in Georgia’s 9th Congressional District.
- Republican Drew Ferguson won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 3rd Congressional District.
- Republican Marjorie Taylor Greene won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 14th Congressional District.
- Republican Austin Scott won re-election to U.S. House in Georgia’s 8th Congressional District.
Copyright 2022 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.