Drivers deal with headache at Appling-Harlem interchange
APPLING, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Drivers are already having trouble with traffic changes at the Appling-Harlem Road interchange. And now another one is coming.
A traffic shift and detour went into effect Monday at the Appling-Harlem Road exit reconstruction project.
Crews have finished leveling the ramps and paving Appling-Harlem Road through the bridge.
Last week, crews paved the westbound off-ramp from Interstate 20 and the eastbound on-ramp to I-20.
Now, drivers wanting to turn left onto Appling-Harlem Road from the eastbound off-ramp and those wanting to turn left onto the I-20 eastbound on-ramp from Appling-Harlem Road will first need to drive south to the Pumpkin Center/Wrightsboro Road roundabout and loop around.
The two-mile detour will allow the contractor to work more efficiently toward completion of the project, the Georgia Department of Transportation said.
The detour will remain in place until traffic is shifted onto the interchange’s new bridge, which is currently scheduled to happen by the end of September.
When the project is complete, the Appling-Harlem Road exit will feature a new bridge and roundabouts at the ramp terminals.
Construction has already caused some confusion for drivers at the location near the Amazon fulfillment center.
A few weeks ago, a new traffic pattern brought a three-way stop that didn’t catch everyone’s eye when it was newly installed, and many drivers blew right through it.
Lewiston Road project leads to lane closures
GROVETOWN, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Temporary lane closures are set for Columbia County.
As work continues on the widening of Lewiston Road, several closures are scheduled for July 25-29:
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Lane closures on Bluegrass Trail at Lewiston Road/Autumn Trail.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Intermittent, lane closure on eastbound I-20 exit ramp to Lewiston (Exit 190) due to crew working next to the travel lane.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Intermittent, lane closure on eastbound I-20 on-ramp to Augusta due to crew working next to the travel lane.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Intermittent, lane closure on westbound I-20 on-ramp to Atlanta due to crew working next to the travel lane.
- Ongoing: Right lane, westbound I-20 exit ramp to Lewiston Road (Exit 190). This lane will be closed for several months.
More closures are scheduled for Columbia County
- There will be a temporary lane closure on Flowing Wells Road from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 21-29. The temporary lane closure is associated with the roadway-widening project for Flowing Wells Road.
- Some closures are scheduled in the River Chase subdivision from July 18 through Aug. 5 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.: Westridge Court, Waterston Courtyard, Ascot Court, Ashwood Drive, Stutter Court and Riverside Drive. Residents are asked to remove trash cans and vehicles parked in the roadway.
- There will be intermittent, temporary lane closures with lane shifts in the River Chase subdivision: Westridge Court, Waterston Courtyard, Ascot Court, Ashwood Drive, Stutter Court and Riverside Drive. Closures will be from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. July 25 through Aug. 12.
Copyright 2022 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.