One injured, one arrested after shooting on Carrington Court
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a shooting Tuesday morning in Augusta.
Deputies said the shooting was reported at 9:35 a.m. in the 3700 block of Carrington Court.
There was one male victim that was shot multiple times, according to sheriff’s Sgt. Kimberly Lee. The victim was transported to the hospital for his injuries.
The Criminal Investigation Division was called to the scene, which led to the arrest of Jamaari Whitfield, 18, of Hephzibah.
Whitfield was charged with aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.
Augusta had gone a few days without a shooting after enduring a month-long surge in violent crimes that left several people dead in shootings.
Sheriff Richard Roundtree blamed some of that surge in gang violence and pledged proactive steps such as extra patrols in targeted areas and the use of crime-fighting surveillance cameras.
TACKLING LOCAL CRIME:
- What are deputies doing about Augusta’s deadly crime rate?
- ‘It’s senseless’: City leaders, residents react to recent crime surge
- Despite surge, data reveals overall crime is down in Augusta
- Groups working together to cut Augusta’s violent crime
While much of the crime wave has taken place in Richmond County, it’s even shown up in violence across the Savannah River in South Carolina.
Deadly crimes in the CSRA since April 14 include:
- On May 7, the body of Joseph McKinnon, 60, was found at 102 Tanglewood Drive in Trenton. Authorities determined he’d died of a heart attack after strangling and burying his girlfriend, Patricia Dent, 65, in the yard.
- Late May 3, Charles L. Bradley, 49, of Aiken was found shot dead inside a car at Hampton Avenue and Assembly Street in Aiken. The shooting was one of three gunfire incidents that night in Aiken. No one was hurt in the other incidents.
- Shooting just before 7:30 p.m. on April 23 claimed the life of Rodriquez Dunn, 31, at the Olmstead Homes in the 2100 block of B Street in Augusta. Dunn suffered at least one gunshot wound and died at the scene.
- On April 19, Brittany Dougherty was found slain outside a vacant home in the 1500 block of Conklin Lane. Her death was considered suspicious from the start, but within hours the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office ruled her death a homicide.
- On April 18, Johnnie Coleman was found shot dead in the 1900 block of Old Savannah Road. Authorities released a photo of a car suspected to have been linked to that slaying. Kelvin Lewis, 33, has been arrested as a suspect in the murders of Coleman and Dougherty.
- Jenefer Holt Herron, 52, of Augusta, died late April 18 after being shot during an argument outside the Circle K at 1739 Walton Way in Augusta. Suspect Yelena Buckner, 33, of Augusta, was later found and arrested on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, deputies reported.
- JaJuan Russell, 21, of Augusta, was fatally shot early April 17 in the 3700 block of Oslo Road in Augusta. Russell was taken to Augusta University Medical Center.
- Sandersville police found the body of a man on April 16 inside a home on Gwendolyn Street while responding to a report of a domestic dispute at the address. Santavious Louis Roberts, 35, of Sandersville, was arrested.
- Brandon Peebles, 24, of Girard, was shot around 10:45 p.m. on April 14 in the 2300 block of Prague Court. He was pronounced dead at 11:23 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.