Juvenile detained, man in hospital after stabbing in Augusta
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - A juvenile has been detained and a man has been sent to a hospital after a stabbing late Tuesday.
According to Richmond County deputies, the stabbing happened at 11:10 p.m. on the 2600 block of Nannette Drive.
MORE CRIME COVERAGE:
- How deputies are focusing on curbing crime in Augusta
- ‘It’s senseless’: City leaders, residents react to recent crime surge
- Despite surge, data reveals overall crime is down in Augusta
- Groups working together to cut Augusta’s violent crime
Deputies say the man had been stabbed several times and was taken to Augusta University Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.
Authorities say the incident is domestic-related.
The stabbing comes amid a surge in violent crimes across the CSRA. A few weeks ago, Richmond County started to see an increase in shootings, many of them fatal. The surge had subsided for about a week but seems to be back.
Just this week, there have been at least two shootings.
Monday around 9:30 a.m. on D’Antignac Street, a few blocks from Laney High School, one man was shot. His condition is unknown. Deputies are also investigating a shooting Sunday night at the Dogwood Terrace Apartments on Old Savannah Road.
And on Sunday, a vehicle passenger fired on deputies during a traffic chase on Tobacco Road.
Deadly crimes in the CSRA since April 14 include these:
- On May 7, the body of Joseph McKinnon, 60, was found at 102 Tanglewood Drive in Trenton. Authorities determined he’d died of a heart attack after strangling and burying his girlfriend, Patricia Dent, 65, in the yard.
- Late May 3, Charles L. Bradley, 49, of Aiken was found shot dead inside a car at Hampton Avenue and Assembly Street in Aiken. The shooting was one of three gunfire incidents that night in Aiken. No one was hurt in the other incidents.
- A shooting just before 7:30 p.m. April 23 claimed the life of Rodriquez Dunn, 31, at the Olmstead Homes in the 2100 block of B Street in Augusta. Dunn suffered at least one gunshot wound and died at the scene.
- On April 19, Brittany Dougherty was found slain outside a vacant home in the 1500 block of Conklin Lane. Her death was considered suspicious from the start, but within hours the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office ruled her death a homicide.
- On April 18, Johnnie Coleman was found shot dead in the 1900 block of Old Savannah Road. Authorities released a photo of a car suspected to have been linked to that slaying. Kelvin Lewis, 33, has been arrested as a suspect in the murders of Coleman and Dougherty.
- Jenefer Holt Herron, 52, of Augusta, died late April 18 after being shot during an argument outside the Circle K at 1739 Walton Way in Augusta. Suspect Yelena Buckner, 33, of Augusta, was later found and arrested on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, deputies reported.
- JaJuan Russell, 21, of Augusta, was fatally shot early April 17 in the 3700 block of Oslo Road in Augusta. Russell was taken to Augusta University Medical Center.
- Sandersville police found the body of a man April 16 inside a home on Gwendolyn Street while responding to a report of a domestic dispute at the address. Santavious Louis Roberts, 35, of Sandersville, was arrested.
- Brandon Peebles, 24, of Girard, was shot around 10:45 p.m. April 14 in the 2300 block of Prague Court. He was pronounced dead at 11:23 p.m.
Copyright 2022 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.