One person injured by Greene Street shooting in Augusta
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Amid a surge in shootings in Augusta – several of them deadly – in the past week, deputies responded to more gunfire Wednesday night.
Richmond County deputies responded to Paul’s Supermarket, 2 Greene St., to investigate a report of a shooting. On the scene, they located a male victim who was shot in the leg.
According to officials, the victim reported that he was outside the store when an unknown male began shooting at him and fled the scene.
Dispatchers say the reports started coming in at 7:08 p.m. The victim was transported to Augusta University Medical Center.
This investigation is ongoing.
It’ was the second night in a row deputies have scrambled in response to gunfire. On Tuesday night, someone shot up a Chevron station at 202 East Boundary.
No one was hurt in the shooting at the Chevron station, which is within eyesight of Paul’s Supermarket.
MORE CRIME COVERAGE:
- Sheriff addresses Augusta’s deadly crime surge
- Sheriff vows to halt shootings, but the criminals aren’t listening
- All 5 suspects caught in fatal drive-by shooting of 8-year-old girl
- How Augusta DA says he’s working to stop gang violence
The gunfire comes during a crime wave that’s included six homicides across the CSRA since Thursday, at least four of them as a result of shootings in Augusta.
The incidents have Richmond County Sheriff Richard Roundtree saying decisive steps are being taken to end the violence.
Since last Thursday:
- A dead female was found just before noon Tuesday outside a vacant home in the 1500 block of Conklin Lane. The death was considered suspicious from the start, but the coroner ruled Tuesday that the death was the result of a homicide. The victim was identified Wednesday as Brittany Kristina Dougherty, 29, of Augusta,
- Jenefer Holt Herron, 52, of Augusta, died late Monday after being shot during an argument outside the Circle K at 1739 Walton Way . The shooter fled in a gray sport utility vehicle, but suspect Yelena Buckner, 33, of Augusta, was later found and arrested on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, deputies reported.
- At 7:23 a.m. Monday, deputies were called to the 1900 block of Old Savannah Road, where a passing motorist found Johnnie Coleman, 72, of Augusta, who’d been shot dead.
- JaJuan Russell, 21, of the 700 block of East Chapman Street, was fatally shot early Sunday in the 3700 block of Oslo Road. Russell was taken to Augusta University Medical Center. He was pronounced dead at 1:14 a.m. An autopsy was scheduled with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.
- Sandersville police found the body of a man Saturday afternoon inside a home on Gwendolyn Street while responding to a report of a domestic dispute at the address. Santavious Louis Roberts, 35, of Sandersville, has been arrested.
- Brandon Peebles, 24, of Girard, was shot around 10:45 p.m. Thursday in the 2300 block of Prague Court, the same neighborhood as Sunday’s shooting. He was pronounced dead at 11:23 p.m. Bowen said the victim’s body was sent to the GBI.
Copyright 2022 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.