Fire leaves Augusta home severely damaged
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Crews rushed to the scene of a structure fire that left an Augusta home severely damaged Tuesday afternoon.
Around 2:30 p.m., the Augusta Fire Department/EMA reported that crews were working to put out a structure fire on Holden Street.
The homeowner was inside the home when the fire started. They made it out without injuries, the agency reported.
The homeowner told firefighters they were in the front room and saw smoke coming from their hallway.
Firefighters believed the fire started in the bedroom and is electrical. It then worked its way into the attic and was able to spread.
Around 3:30 p.m., the fire was deemed under control. Crews continue to perform salvage work on the home that suffered “severe damage.” The homeowner is now temporarily displaced, the fire department reports.
The Augusta Fire Department/EMA reminds the public that fires can spread quickly and become dangerous in a short timeframe. Smoke alarms provide people an early warning noise so they can get to safety before the fire gets out of control.
Copyright 2021 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.