Inspectors find no major highway damage from truck fire on I-520
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW/WAGT) - Inspectors found no emergency issues for drivers as a result of last week’s tractor-trailer fire on Bobby Jones Expressway under the Gordon Highway Bridge.
State inspectors shut down Bobby Jones, also known as Interstate 520, for a time today to check for any hazards that might have caused by the fire.
By 11 a.m., eastbound traffic on Bobby Jones was reduced to one lane so state maintenance crews could test asphalt and inspect pipes after last week’s incident. They had finished by 12:45 p.m.
Although they didn’t find any major issues, crews are looking to replace some railing in the area of the incident.
On Thursday, a tractor-trailer caught fire and lost much of its load of wood chips while on westbound Bobby Jones, also known as Interstate 520. The incident shut down lanes on the highway for hours.
Improvements coming to highways in CSRA
The Georgia Department of Transportation recently awarded three contracts covering almost 100 interstate miles of restriping for better night visibility and safety.
These projects cover portions of Interstate 20 in the CSRA with expected completion by March 31, 2022.
In the CSRA, the work includes:
- Greene/Taliaferro counties: I-20 from west of SR 44 at Exit 130 to the SR 22 overpass at Exit 148, $2.380 million contract awarded to Peek Pavement Marking
- Richmond County: I-520 from north of Gordon Highway at Exit 3 to east of Deans Bridge Road at Exit 5 toward Peach Orchard Road, $497,000 contract awarded to TRP Construction Group
Columbia County projects
This week marks the start of multiple, temporary lane closures throughout Columbia County:
- Flowing Wells Road will experience a temporary lane closure from Monday to Friday as crews install storm water utilities on the westbound lane at the intersection of Brockwood Drive. The lane closure will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Starting Wednesday at 7 p.m., Commercial Boulevard will experience a temporary lane closure until Thursday evening as crews install and repair utilities in the area’s 100 block.
- On Thursday, a temporary lane closure will start on Niccole’s Way as installation and repair of utilities begins at the intersection of Lewiston Road. Lane closures will be from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Travel conditions are expected to return to normal in the area on Mat 14.
Also on roadways ...
- Superior Construction will close the right I-20 east lane from the Savannah River to Exit 1/W. Martintown Road at 10 p.m. on Wednesday to relocate temporary barrier wall and restripe the ramp for the next construction phase, the Georgia Department of Transportation reports. Work hours run until 7 a.m. Crews will shift eastbound off-ramp traffic, weather permitting, on Thursday between the 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. work period. Friday night is the alternative if delayed.
Copyright 2021 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.