Local colleges return to in-person graduation ceremonies this year
AIKEN, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - In-person graduation ceremonies are back for some of our major universities — and inclement weather this week is leading to some last-minute changes.
Aiken Technical College will host commencement Tuesday at the University of South Carolina Aiken Convocation Center. The center is located at 2049 Champion Way in Graniteville. The ceremony will start at 7 p.m.
USC Aiken’s commencement ceremonies will be this week. The original plan was to hold a ceremony at Aiken High School, but bad weather this week is leading to a change of plans. Instead of one ceremony, there will be multiple smaller ones.
Here’s the schedule:
- Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Etherredge Center: Academic honors ceremony
- Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. in the Etherredge Center: School of Nursing pinning
- Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. in the Etherredge Center: Masters hooding ceremony
- Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the USC Aiken Convocation Center: Commencement exercises for Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies, Bachelor of Science, Master of Science
- Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the USC Aiken Convocation Center: Commencement exercises for Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Arts in Education, Bachelor of Arts in Special Education, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Master of Business Administration, Master of Education
Belle Wheelen, president and CEO of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges, will deliver the commencement address at the 6 p.m. ceremony.
For a full list of major and degrees being awarded at each ceremony visit, https://www.usca.edu/graduation.
USC Aiken will be awarding 328 degrees.
Meanwhile, USC Columbia will have two days of commencement on Friday and Saturday at Williams Brice Stadium.
Augusta University will hold its commencement at the Lady A Pavilion at Evans Towne Center Park on May 13. Each college will be assigned to a morning or afternoon session during that day.
The University of Georgia will have three days of commencement from May 13-15. Each ceremony will start at 7:30 p.m. They will all take place at Sanford Stadium in Athens.
Masks will still be required for the in-person ceremonies.
Augusta Tech and Paine College and will host virtual commencements this spring.
Copyright 2021 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.