Barnwell 77-year-old killed in drive-by shooting
BARNWELL, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - A drive-by shooting claimed the life of a Barnwell woman early Saturday in one of the latest crimes among an outbreak of deadly incidents that have swept the CSRA in recent days.
Henrietta Creech, age 77, of the 6700 block of U.S. 278 in Barnwell, was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound at her home.
The shooting was reported at 2:26 a.m. by a family member who was present at the time of the shooting, according to Barnwell County Coroner Lloyd B. Ward.
The caller said a sport utility vehicle drove by and someone in it opened fire at the residence, Ward said.
The death is considered a homicide, and an autopsy will be performed, Ward said.
Ward’s office and the Barnwell County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the death.
The deadly shooting was among several across the CSRA in recent days. Among the crimes:
- A North Augusta man was killed and 14 people were injured in a shooting at a nightclub in Aiken just about an hour and a half before Creech was killed.
- A shooting Nov. 23 claimed the lives of two men inside the Johnson Beauty and Barber Salon at 706 Eve St. in Augusta. Authorities are still trying to determine what led to the slayings in the Harrisburg neighborhood.
- A man was pronounced dead early Thanksgiving Day after being shot in the 3600 block of Byrd Road in Augusta.
- On Nov. 21, someone shot and killed an 18-year-old on Aiken Street in Augusta.
- On Nov. 24, a shooting at the Benson Estates Apartments left one person dead and injured another in Augusta.
Copyright 2020 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.