All lanes open on eastbound I-20 after early morning crash
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - As heavy fog shrouded the CSRA early today, vehicle accidents caused traffic problems across the region.
The most serious one was on eastbound Interstate 20 near Bettis Academy Road. The crash, just before 6 a.m., involved tractor-trailers, one of which lost part of its load.
At the scene was a heavily damaged tractor trailer with much of its cargo strewn alongside the highway in cardboard boxes. Soon after the crash, all lanes of eastbound I-20 were shut down at Exit 11, and traffic was backed toward the Georgia state line.
One lane remained closed into the afternoon until the South Carolina Department of Transportation reported all lanes were open and clear around 7:40 p.m. Monday evening.
- A separate crash at mile marker 1 closed one lane of eastbound I-20, according to the South Carolina Department of Transportation.
- A crash on Washington Road near Berckmans Road had backed up traffic all the way to Interstate 20 in Augusta around 7:30 a.m.
- An injury crash was reported at Hitchcock Parkway and Dibble Road in Aiken County.
- Fire and rescue crews were sent just after 8 a.m. to Gordon Highway and East Robinson Avenue.
- An accident with injuries was reported at about 9:45 a.m. at Washington Road and Oak Street in Martinez.
Copyright 2020 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.