One dead in Aiken County house explosion
AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - The Aiken County Coroner’s Office says an Aiken man was pronounced dead Saturday morning after a home explosion that happened on Aug. 22.
Michael Fox, 58, was pronounced dead at 4:26 a.m. from burns he sustained from an explosion that occurred at his residence. Officials say there is no foul play suspected.
Wendy and Bill Ray were at home when they heard a massive boom that shook their entire house.
“I thought someone had hit my house,” Wendy Ray said. “My husband jumped off the couch, he runs out the front door, and as I’m making my way to the door, he runs back and is telling me, ‘Call 911, call 911.”
Ray made the frantic call to 911, which Aiken County dispatch says came in at 4:02 p.m. Saturday.
Authorities say a house on the 200-block of Day Road house exploded and caused a fire. Investigators say one person was injured and burned but is reportedly conscious.
Neighbors rushed to help the resident, who they said was severely burnt.
“When he came out, his clothing was burnt off of him. It was just the most scary thing,” Ray said.
Danna Fox, the resident’s sister, says her brother is stable, but has second and third-degree burns on more than 90 percent of his body.
“This will be a long and hard road for his recovery,” she said.
According to Fox, the cause of the fire was a propane tank. She says her brother’s dog Pepper was inside with him but is okay and with family.
Copyright 2020 WRDW/WAGT. All rights reserved.