Columbia Co. starts cleanup after large rainfall

By: Jorge Lopez Email
By: Jorge Lopez Email

News 12 First at Five / Friday, June 7, 2013

MARTINEZ, Ga. (WRDW) -- The sunshine finally came out, and the rain has stopped after days. However, the cleanup has started.

"My little girl said this morning, 'Oh, rain is good for the flowers.' I said, 'I think they've had enough,'" said one county resident.

Folks in Columbia County are now dealing with cleanup efforts after a week's worth of rain.

"We got about 2.5 inches of rain. Two inches some places, 2.5 in others," said a county official.

Officials say they are not very concerned with the overnight rain, but their concern is a sinkhole in the Barrington subdivision. And while Columbia County officials are worried about that, residents that live in the neighborhood are worried about cars that are lined up. Now they have to park on the side of the road and then walk across to their homes.

"It's been very inconvenient, but we are very lucky that the county is working with us to try and make a solution for us," said Tricia Miller.

Miller and her girls say they feel lucky, but a neighbor in another part of the county says he's not.

"We've had a monsoon for the last three days," said Mario Fareno.

Fareno was home when a tree came crashing down onto his neighbor's car.

"It was raining so hard I couldn't hear the tree fall, but I heard the air brakes on the fire truck and saw the light and then heard I the chain saws fire up," Fareno said.

County officials say first priority was to cut trees blocking roads and pick up debris, but again, the biggest issue is the sinkhole.

"The rain last night did make it a little bigger. We were concerned it was going to make it bigger, so we safed it up and made precautions. We made sure all the residents knew what was going on," said the county official.

Miller says officials have done a good job of informing her, but she's ready for all this to be over.

"You know we don't have trash, mail, anything right now," Miller told News 12.

Officials say they don't know how long it will be before that road is open again. They say it could take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months. However, they say they are looking into other ways for folks to get in and out. They hope to have an alternative in the next week or so.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 210634951 -
Gray Television, Inc.