Fort Gordon Dinner Theatre Auditions: LEND ME A TENOR
Date(s): 12/2/2013, 12/3/2013
Saturday & Sunday, December 2nd & 3rd at 8pm
Fort Gordon Dinner Theatre
4 Women and 4 Men
- The Cleveland Grand Opera's general manager. Father to Maggie. A blowhard who often loses his temper at the slightest mishap.
- Saunders' long-suffering assistant, who is forced to take Tito's place in the role of Othello.
- Saunders' daughter, and Max's girlfriend. She has a great admiration for Tito.
- The world's most renowned opera tenor, and notorious ladies man.
- Tito's long-suffering wife, with an "Italian temper". Loves Tito, despite his philandering.
- The opera's ingenue soprano, who is "flinging her way" to the top. A seductive woman (and she knows it).
Julia - Chairwoman of the Cleveland Opera Guild, who considers herself a "grande damme."
- A comic relief character who has an ongoing feud with Saunders. An obnoxious opera fan, the Bellhop keeps showing up at the hotel suite at the wrong moment, trying to get an autograph and a photo of Tito Merelli. Saunders ends up chasing the Bellhop around the hotel suite, and trying to strangle him.
Lend Me a Tenor is set in September 1934. Saunders, the general manager of the Cleveland Grand Opera Company, is primed to welcome world famous, Tito Morelli, Il Stupendo, the greatest tenor of his generation, to appear for one night only as Otello. The star arrives late and, through a hilarious series of mishaps, is given a double dose of tranquilizers and passes out. His pulse is so low that Saunders and his assistant Max believe he's dead. In a frantic attempt to salvage the evening, Saunders persuades Max to get into Morelli's Otello costume and fool the audience into thinking he's Il Stupendo. Max succeeds admirably, but Morelli comes to and gets into his other costume ready to perform. Now two Otellos are running around in costume and two women are running around in lingerie, each thinking she is with Il Stupendo. A sensation on Broadway and in London's West End, this madcap, screwball comedy is guaranteed to leave audiences teary-eyed with laughter.
For more information, please contact: