- Is lacrosse a niche sport here, absolutely. Is it growing, the numbers say so. What may be more impressive, the number of kids from the area getting college scholarships is also on the rise.
- Former Paine guard Kenny Fluellen has signed a contract with BG-Karlsruhe to play professional basketball in Karlsruhe, Germany. The team plays in the Basketball Bundesliga’s ProB German basketball league.
- Several CSRA athletes are going for gold at the AAU track and field Junior Olympics. Two competitors from Aiken stand out in every way, but their size. Maybe smaller in stature, they've got a passion for shot put outweighing the rest.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia drove in the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, Henderson Alvarez won for the first time in three starts and the Miami Marlins beat the Atlanta Braves 3-2 on Thursday night.
- The Mercer University football team was picked seventh in the eight-team Southern Conference, as the league released its 2014 Preseason Media Poll during Wednesday’s Media Day in Spartanburg.