Friday, May 31, 2013
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) -- The Southern Conference says it has extended its agreement to hold its basketball tournaments in Asheville, N.C., through 2017.
The league's men's and women's tournament had been played there the past two years. The agreement adds three years to the deal set to expire after next season. The league announced the move Friday at the conclusion of its spring meetings.
League Commissioner John Iamarino says it was clear both sides were pleased with how things went and wanted the partnership to continue.
The conference also said that enhancements are planned for the U.S. Cellular Center, including a new playing surface and goals that will be in place for the next tournament in March.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press