Thursday September 6, 2012
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Ryan Newman has signed a contract extension with Stewart-Haas Racing for next season.
Newman is in the final year of the deal he signed in 2009. The extension is a one-year agreement, and he said Thursday he took a paycut just like almost every driver has of late.
SHR is searching for heavy sponsorship for next year. The U.S. Army said earlier this summer it's not returning to NASCAR next season, and Office Depot said Sunday it won't be back as co-primary of Tony Stewart's car.
Newman says he's not aware of any signed sponsors for next season on his No. 39 Chevrolet.
Newman is one of many drivers on the bubble of making the Chase for Sprint Cup championship heading into Saturday night's race at Richmond.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.