Wednesday February 6, 2013
DORAL, Fla. (AP) -- Rory McIlroy says the pressure of meeting expectations as golf's No. 1 player got the best of him when he quit and walked off the course last week. He says he has learned his lesson and "it won't happen again."
McIlroy met with the media Wednesday for the first time since he quit after eight holes Friday at the Honda Classic.
The 23-year-old from Northern Ireland says he does have soreness in his lower right wisdom tooth. But that wasn't enough to keep him from finishing the second round, even if it meant shooting the highest score of his career.
He says his swing is the problem, and not his switch to Nike equipment.
McIlroy says he needs to be tougher when things aren't going his way.
Copyright 2013 Associated Press
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.