(AP) — Spanish golf great Seve Ballesteros thanked doctors and staff for giving him the chance to play the "mulligan of my life" on Tuesday when he was released from the hospital more than two months after brain surgery to remove a malignant tumor.
The 51-year-old Spaniard left the hospital Tuesday morning but will continue to be treated as an outpatient, Madrid's La Paz hospital said in a statement. Ballesteros thanked not only the neurosurgeons that had performed the operations, but also the staff and all of those that had showed support since he was hospitalized in the Spanish capital 66 days ago.
"Thanks to them I will be able to play the mulligan of my life, which I expect to enjoy at my best," Ballesteros said in a statement posted on his Web site. "There is a long recovery time ahead and I shall keep fighting with patience and determination against the brain tumor that was detected at the beginning of October."
Ballesteros, one of Spain's best known sports personalities, was admitted on Oct. 6 after fainting at Madrid's international airport before boarding a flight to Germany. Since then, he has undergone four separate operations, including a 6½-hour procedure on Oct. 24 to remove the brain tumor and reduce swelling around the brain. That was his third operation in eight days.
Ballesteros was released from intensive care last Wednesday — the first time he had been out of danger since his initial operation on Oct. 15.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.