UPDATE | NY fire may be gas-related
Updated: 6:14 PM
- NY mayor: Preliminary evidence says gas-related blast to blame for fire, building collapse.
Bills with more money for roads on floor of House and Senate
Posted: 2:54 PM
- Different plans to get more money to South Carolina roads are now on the floor of the House and Senate, but there are still plenty of roadblocks.
Georgia Senate passes controversial ride sharing legislation
Posted: 2:35 PM
- The state Senate has overwhelmingly passed a slightly tweaked substitute measure to a House bill that apparently clears the way for Uber, Lyft and other ride sharing firms to keep operating in Georgia.
Ga. police chief, assistant chief charged with stealing
Posted: 2:17 PM
- Authorities say a small town police chief and assistant chief in northwest Georgia have been charged with stealing government funds and violating their oaths of office.
NASA details plans to pluck rock off asteroid, explore it
- NASA is aiming to launch a rocket to an asteroid in five years and grab a boulder off of it -- a stepping stone for an eventual trip sending humans to Mars.
7 sailors charged after videos surfaced of females on board
- The Navy has charged seven sailors in connection with the illicit videotaping of female officers and student trainees aboard a submarine.
Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to be charged with desertion
- Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. Army sergeant controversially traded for 5 Taliban prisoners last year, will be hit with two charges from military prosecutors, his attorney told CBS News.
University of Georgia professor robbed at gunpoint
- Authorities say a University of Georgia professor was robbed at gunpoint near downtown Athens, one of a string of robberies reported to police in recent weeks.
Federal agency investigating Lumber Liquidators flooring made in China
- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating the safety Lumber Liquidators laminate flooring made in China.
Ga. city launches civic engagement application
- A metro Atlanta city is offering residents a new way to report quality of life issues to city officials.
House backs high school credit for some college-level study
- The Georgia House has approved a bill letting Georgia high school students earn credit toward a diploma while taking some college-level courses.
SC State's president asks legislators to make school 'whole'
- South Carolina State University's acting president is asking senators to make the school "whole" by eradicating its anticipated $23.5 million debt to vendors and the state.
White House says the US will slow troop withdrawal from Afghanistan
- The White House says the U.S. will keep its current complement of 9,800 troops in Afghanistan through the end of 2015, instead of cutting the number by about half as originally planned.
Group of actors, activists opposes attempt to import belugas
- A group of prominent actors, activists and scientists is opposing an attempt by the Georgia Aquarium to import beluga whales from Russia.
More Regional/National Headlines
Home and Family Headlines