Drone carrying contraband crashes at SC prison
Posted: 2:38 PM
- Corrections Department spokeswoman Stephanie Givens said Wednesday that officials found a crashed drone in bushes outside Lee Correctional Institution earlier this year. At the site, Givens says officers also found contraband materials, including cellphones, tobacco products and marijuana.
US condemns shelling of UN school in Gaza
Posted: 2:06 PM
- Meehan says the U.S. also condemns those responsible for hiding weapons in U.N. facilities in Gaza. She says the escalation shows the need for a cease-fire as soon as possible.
Woman found badly beaten on Silver Comet Trail
Posted: 1:56 PM
- Sheriff's officials say they're trying to determine a motive for the crime.
2 people wanted for questioning in copper wire theft from Augusta National
Updated: 1:45 PM
- The Richmond County Sheriff's Office says these two are wanted for questioning in connection with the theft of copper wire.
Heaviest-yet Israeli bombardment kills at least 100, knocks out power plant
- Palestinian officials say ten members of one family were among at least 100 Palestinians killed in today's Israeli air strikes and tank shelling. Israeli warplanes carried out dozens of attacks, leveling the home of the top Hamas leader in Gaza.
Recount ordered in Ga. school superintendent race
- Unofficial tallies after the July 22 race showed that Irwin County educator Richard Woods earned just over 50 percent of votes and the two were separated by less than 1 percent of total votes.
Generation of tanners see spike in deadly melanoma
- Lushniak says skin cancer rates won't change until American attitudes do. Tanned skin, he warns, is damaged skin.
Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach dies
- They were walking along Caspersen Beach in Venice Sunday afternoon when the 1972 Piper Cherokee plane made an emergency landing after reporting problems. Officials say the father and daughter were hit by either the plane or its debris.
Parents sue Georgia school system in gym mat death
- Classmates found Johnson's body inside a rolled-up mat propped in a corner of the gym Jan. 11, 2013.
Unaccompanied youths enroll in Georgia schools
- Caroline Woodason, the school system's assistant director for student support, said the children have relatives in the Dalton area and are staying with them.
Gov. Haley urges Atlantic Beach to end Bikefest
- The Atlantic Beach Bikefest attracts tens of thousands to the small seaside community every Memorial Day weekend. But this year, there were eight shootings along the Grand Strand, including three people shot and killed at a motel nearby Myrtle Beach.
SC will keep fighting for gay marriage ban
- A legally married gay couple living in South Carolina sued in September over the state's ban. That federal case has been on hold while Virginia's ban was being heard.
Observers, investigators kept away by fighting
- Government troops have stepped up their push to win back territory from pro-Russian separatists in fighting that the United Nations said today has killed more than 1,100 people in four months.
Israeli PM speaks of `prolonged' campaign in Gaza
- Meanwhile, a strike on a Gaza park killed 10 people, nine of them children. Israeli and Palestinian authorities traded blame over the attack as fighting in the Gaza war raged on despite a major Muslim holiday.
More Regional/National Headlines
Home and Family Headlines