Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House says it doesn't have any indication that last week's deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was premeditated. But White House spokesman Jay Carney says the matter still is under investigation and that assessment could change.
Carney said that, so far, there is no evidence to back up claims that the attacks that killed four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya, were planned. He said the violent protest appears to have been sparked by an anti-Islam film made in the U.S.
Carney says investigators will "follow the facts wherever they lead." He says the goal is to find out what happened and why, and to track down those responsible for the deaths.
The Libyan president has contended foreign militants plotted the attack for months.
(Copyright 2012, The Associated Press)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.