Hephzibah driver indicted in 2011 wreck that killed 2 teenagers

By: Katie Beasley Email
By: Katie Beasley Email

News 12 at 6 o'clock / Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012

HEPHZIBAH, Ga. -- It's been more than a year and a half since two teenagers were killed crossing the street in Hephzibah. After months of waiting, that driver is now being indicted.

The accident happened in March of 2011 on McCombs Road. Just last month the roadside memorials for Sarah Riffe and Michael Perry were also set on fire.

It's been 19 months, but for these families, it still feels like it was yesterday. The pain is fresh, but now they're just hoping for justice.

"It's just so hard to imagine a life where he's not here," said Sabrina Herndon.

No matter how much time passes, it's still painful for Herndon to come back to the scene of the accident.

"You just really miss his presence," she said.

Herndon's nephew, 17-year-old Michael Perry, and 13-year-old Sarah Riffe were crossing the road with friends when they were hit by a car coming around this curve. They both died at the scene.

"The children have already paid with their lives," Herndon said.

For the last 19 months, the families have waited while officers investigated.

"It's been horrible, it's really been horrible. I really felt like nothing was going to be done, honestly," Herndon said.

But last week a grand jury indicted the driver, 22-year-old William Anthony Shores, with two counts of homicide by vehicle in the second degree, both misdemeanors. The indictment lists "speeding" as a factor in the wreck.

'"We just want him to accept responsibility for what he's done. It did make us feel better to know that he was speeding," Herndon said.

News 12 is also learning Shores was on probation at the time of the accident. He'd been arrested for trafficking methamphetamine three months before the wreck. A judge ordered him to be on house arrest with an ankle monitor, but a bond revocation after the accident shows he was not following his curfew or reporting in.

"What's the purpose of having an ankle monitor? I mean, I understand you can go out, you can work, you can have a job, you're allowed to do this that and the other, but if there's a curfew, what is the purpose of that curfew if nothing is done when you're not there at curfew? That's the whole purpose of that ankle monitor," Herndon said.

Herndon said she hopes Shores learns from this tragedy, "And realize the gift that he has, life every single day."

Shores is set to go before a judge Friday for an arraignment.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 newsroom@wrdw.com Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 173783841 - wrdw.com/a?a=173783841
Gray Television, Inc.