Brothers recovering after 2 separate crashes leave them paralyzed

By: Sheli Muniz Email
By: Sheli Muniz Email

News 12 at 11 o'clock / Monday, Sept. 24, 2012

SPARTA, Ga. -- It's a story that will have you counting your blessings.

Two Hancock County brothers are both back home now, but earlier this summer, one of the teenagers was in a car crash that left him paralyzed.

One month later, his brother was involved in a crash and now he is paralyzed, too.

Their mother, Erical Barnes, told News 12, "The first accident was Vernon, in May, he was going to pick up his sister and the neighbors called and said that he had had an accident, so we get there."

"And I told them I couldn't feel my legs," said Vernon Lundy.

He was paralyzed from the waist down after a deer crossed in front of his car, sending him into an embankment. For days, Vernon and his mother were in a rehab center in Atlanta and that is where she was when she got another serious call.

"Thirty-one days later, Jayilon was in an accident, a car accident. When he got to the hospital, he couldn't move anything, either," she said.

"I just remember going to pick up my friend and when it happened, I just blanked out," said 18-year-old Jayilon Lundy.

"I had just gotten out of therapy that day and my mom had told me, then I went to the bathroom and just started crying," Vernon said.

Now, two Hancock High School brothers, both involved in a number of sports, are in wheelchairs.

Life has been everything but routine.

Their mother told News 12, "Restaurants being able to get in and out and vehicles, we have to go in separate vehicles because one fits in one vehicle and one fits in my mom's."

The community has wrapped its arms around the boys, building a ramp and a new bathroom at their home that is accessible for both.

"I didn't think it was going to happen to us twice," Vernon said.

For the teenagers, it's about overcoming adversity. The family is now finding strength through their faith.

"We just have to be patient and wait until the spinal cord heals and pray," their mother said.

Both boys are mobile from the waist up. Jayilon is a senior and Vernon is a sophomore.

Doctors are optimistic about their progress because they didn't cut their spinal cords, there is a chance they can walk again.

Jayilon says he is already starting to get some feeling back.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 171081501 -
Gray Television, Inc.