911 tape: Co-workers try to help electrocution victim

By: Sheli Muniz Email
By: Sheli Muniz Email
A man was electrocuted while working on a future Richmond County school. (WRDW-TV / June 14, 2012)

A man was electrocuted while working on a future Richmond County school. (WRDW-TV / June 14, 2012)

News 12 at 11 o'clock / Thursday, June 14, 2012

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Autopsy results are in and they show an electrical shock is what killed 33-year-old Jevon Maloy.

Maloy was working at the construction site of the new Richmond County Magnet High School. Co-workers tried to do CPR, but doctors are asking people to think twice when electricity's involved.

A 911 tape just released to us reveals co-workers attempting to help him.

Maloy's co-worker: "We need an ambulance, we just had an electrician get electrocuted."
911 dispatcher: "Is he conscious?"
Co-worker: "No, he's unconscious."

That electrician was a father of three and had been on the job for only days before an accident would claim his life.

Initial instincts make you just want to help, but in a situation like this, trying to help could prove to be dangerous to you, too.

Co-worker: "I got 911 on the phone."
911 dispatcher: "Is he breathing?"
Co-worker: "Um, he's unconscious."
911 dispatcher: "Right, I know he's not responding, but is he breathing?"

A co-worker called 911 moments after Maloy was shocked. The coroner says he was at this site working on electrical wiring up above with 122 to 277 volts of electricity running through them.

Vice Chairman of Emergency Medicine at Georgia Health Sciences, Bruce Janiak, said, "110 is not so bad. It causes a tingling and you pull back real quick and you are okay, 220 can be devastating and it can stop your heart."

Maloy was standing on a ladder, and the shock threw him 8 feet to the ground.

Co-worker: "He is breathing."
911 dispatcher: "He is breathing?"
Co-worker: "He's bleeding out of the top of his head, too. He hit his head when he fell."
911 dispatcher: "OK, whatever electrocuted him, has it been turned on or been turned off?"

Doctors agree, if you want to help, make sure that power is off and you hear dispatchers instructing them to do that.

"The first thing, the only real important thing, do not get yourself electrocuted," Dr. Janiak said.

Co-worker: "He's away from it."
911 dispatcher: "He is away from it? Has the power been turned off?"
Co-worker: "Um, I don't know."
911 dispatcher: "Can we turn the power off?"

"So don't run over to a patient, grab a wire, grab the patient and pull him away from the wire, because you are going to get shocked, too," Janiak said.

The current could easily be transferred from one person to another. He's seen it happen and so has Dr. Fred Mullins.

"In fact, we've had four people electrocuted in the same accident because of that," Mullins said.

It's a mistake you can easily make in desperate moments just trying to help.

"But you don't do CPR if there's any way you might get a shock," Janiak said.

911 dispatcher: "I don't want anybody to touch him, OK? I just want you to continue to watch his breathing. I've already got the fire department and EMS already dispatched and on the way to you."

There were some questions surrounding the exact cause of death because Maloy did fall following the shock, but again, autopsy results say he was electrocuted, which stopped his heart.

We learned Maloy had just moved here from Warner Robbins, Ga., within the last week. He moved his entire family here to work on the new Career-Tech Magnet School near Augusta Tech.

As for that project, they are not expected to continue until Monday.


Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.


Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.


Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 159148705