Commissioner Mason slams $1M settlement as sign city is 'loose on the purse strings'

By: Chris Thomas Email
By: Chris Thomas Email

News 12 at 11 o'clock / Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- A deadly fire has led to a $1,250,000 settlement.

Augusta commissioners agreed to pay the $1,250,000 to settle a pending lawsuit that dates back to August 2006. The suit claims an Augusta employee failed to perform the reconnect inspection on a mobile home in compliance with Augusta procedures.

Ryan Holt, 18, and Michelle Borror, 20, died of smoke inhalation weeks after the suit claims a city worker failed to make sure the mobile home had functional smoke detectors.

Commissioner Alvin Mason voted against the settlement.

"I just think we are a little bit loose on the purse strings," he said. "It's time that we tighten up. Everybody is talking about suing. They looking at Augusta-Richmond County and they see the deep pockets."

Mason says it is not clear where the money will come from to cover the settlement.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 170266596 -
Gray Television, Inc.