News 12 at 6 o'clock / Tuesday, July 30, 2013
AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- News 12's cameras were rolling as we toured the inside of an Augusta home to see the potential hazards associated with black mold.
Ned Maner, owner of Duraclean Systems, warned us that conditions would be bad.
"Your eyes are going to be itching later. You might have a headache, too," Maner said.
He says the home is one of the worst he has seen.
"It is a large loss. This will probably be approximately $90,000 of damage in this home," Maner said.
He says a busted pipe from this water heater went unchecked for several days, causing major damage. Mold even got behind the walls.
While this is an extreme case, he says if you suspect a mold problem, you should take action quickly.
"You may see it on your baseboards or your carpeting. At that point, you should have definitely got somebody in to mitigate the water damage," Maner said.
Once it has taken over your home, he says you will need professional help to clean it up.
"They'll do a tape sample to figure out what type of mold it is, if it's one of the major dangerous ones. There are 106,000 species of mold; there are approximately six that can be toxic," Maner said.
He says in the past two months he has been slammed with more than 200 claims from homeowners.
"People are starting to have mold now because they didn't take care of rainwater that was coming in to start with,"says Maner said.
After just 15 minutes inside the home, we asked Maner how risky it was to be there.
"It is not good for you, but I'm not a doctor, but it is definitely bad for you," Maner said.
So if you suspect mold where you live, if your landlord is responsible for maintenance, be sure to let him know right away so it can be taken care of.
Experts say minor mold cases can be taken care of with a mixture of bleach and water. They also say what you do not want to do is paint over a mold problem because it will eventually bleed through and continue to pose a potential health hazard.