12 On Your Side: Verizon refusing to transfer cell number, says man

By: Jerome Collins Email
By: Jerome Collins Email

News 12 at 6 o'clock / December 3, 2013

"How I feel? Hey I'm mad as the devil about it, " says Johnny Robinson. He says his cell phone provider did quite a number on him after he damaged his original phone. "I ran over it with my lawnmower," says Robinson.

Unsatisfied with the insurance replacement phone, Robinson says he decided to switch from his Verizon nationwide talk 450 minute plan to a Verizon prepaid phone instead. He realized there was a problem when he tried to get it activated.

"He said that you don't have an account with us anymore. It's been terminated. I said well I didn't terminate it you did," says Robinson. He says that is not all. "He changed my phone number and would not give me my old phone number back," says Robinson.

According to federal law, "you can switch telephone service providers...and keep your existing phone number". Robinson says he is still with the same carrier.

And according to Verizon support, they do provide a toll free prepaid customer service number for anyone wanting to transfer a current mobile number to a Verizon wireless prepaid device.

Robinson says since losing his original number he has been getting lots of annoying phone calls and just wants what he says is only right. "What I want from Verizon? give me my old number back," says Robinson.

We left a message with Verizon corporate and are waiting to hear back. The Federal Communications Commission says first try to resolve a problem with your provider and if that fails you can file a complaint by calling 1-888-CALL-FCC.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 newsroom@wrdw.com Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234315771 - wrdw.com/a?a=234315771
Gray Television, Inc.