FAQs on SC Hacking (PDF)
Friday, Nov. 30, 2012
NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- If you were affected by the cyber attack on the South Carolina Department of Revenue and claimed minors as dependents, Gov. Nikki Haley says information will be coming to you soon.
The Governor's Office says the notifications will be staggered over the next few weeks.
Once you get your notice in the mail, you can register up to five minors on the Experian website using Family Secure. If you have more than five minors, you will have to call Experian.
To access Family Secure, you must already be enrolled in Experian's ProtectMyID service. You will need to have the minor's Social Security number, name, date of birth and be the legal parent or guardian.
According to a news release from the Governor's Office, here is what the Family Secure plan includes:
- Regular monthly monitoring of Experian information for every child on the account
- Protection against material damages that may occur to a child due to misuse of their credit file
- If no credit file exists, Experian monitors children’s personal information for the creation of one
- Alerts the parent/guardian to important activity such as credit inquiries, public records, delinquencies, negative information (e.g., liens, civil judgments, bankruptcies, and new accounts ) to a minor’s credit history
- Activity is detected based on the minor’s SSN, date of birth, name or address or any combination of that data, utilizing Experian's proprietary credit file matching logic
- Once activity is detected, the parent/guardian can work with a dedicated Experian Fraud Resolution representative on the best course of action
- Monthly “No Hit” Alerts if no credit activity is detected in a month
- Comprehensive fraud resolution service -- dedicated professionals to manage your case and help members recover from identify theft quickly and efficiently
- Daily monitoring of primary parent’s credit report and early warning alerts if credit report changes are detected
- Unlimited Experian credit reports and scores
- Experian credit score illustrator to show monthly score tending and analysis
- $2,000,000 product guarantee
Click here to read the FAQs on the Family Secure Plan.
If you have filed a tax return in S.C. since 1998 and have not registered with Experian yet , you can either call Experian at 1-866-578-5422 or click here and enter SCDOR123. You have until the end of January 2013 to enroll.
Have information or an opinion about this story? Click here to contact the newsroom.
Copyright WRDW-TV News 12. All rights reserved. This material may not be republished without express written permission.