Augusta mother warns others to be cautious while preparing Thanksgiving meal

By: Trishna Begam Email
By: Trishna Begam Email
Thanksgiving cooking

Cooking your Thanksgiving meal is fun but can become dangerous quickly if the correct safety measures aren't taken. (WRDW-TV / Nov. 23, 2011)

News 12 at This Morning / Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Virginia Hagopian is a first-time mom. It's also her first Thanksgiving in a new home.

"I was cooking dinner in the kitchen on the stove and my husband was holding Harrison," she said.

Harrison is her little boy, and in his four months of being alive he's already been through a lot.

"I saw it happen. It was one of those things where it felt like in slow motion and I couldn't stop it," Hagopian remembered.

Harrison was in their small kitchen with his father while Hagopian cooked and that's when it happened.

"Harrison just reached out his hand and grabbed the skillet," Hagopian explained. "He just put his whole hand in the edge of the skillet and it was really hot."

He was hurt and had second-degree burns on his tiny hands.

"The way he grabbed it there were burns on different parts of his hands and in between his fingers," Hagopian said.

This made it hard for Harrison to grip onto his toys and feeding bottle. Harrison was taken to Doctors Hospital where they say he'll heal in a few weeks.

"With cooking the large meal, like cooking the turkey, they are in there for a long period of time," said Chief Brent Willis with the Martinez-Columbia Fire Department. "We have had cases where homeowners have actually left because of the extended time of cooking and come back to find the house on fire."

It's not uncommon for kitchen accidents to happen during one of the biggest family holidays of the year -- that's why firefighters are serving up an extra side of caution. They say residential fires double during Thanksgiving due to kitchen fires.

"When you are cooking, make sure pot handles are turned to the side. So when someone walks by they won't bump it," Willis said.

Although Harrison's accident didn't turn into a fire hazard, his mother says it could have been avoided.

"Better to keep your kids out of the kitchen. Have a family member watch them," Hagopian said.

This thanksgiving as the Hagopians use their kitchen to make family meals, Harrison will be occupied with other activities.

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 134383523 -
Gray Television, Inc.