Alabama man claims penis mistakenly amputated
- The lawsuit says Banks went to Princeton Baptist Medical Center in Birmingham last month for a circumcision. The suit alleges the man's penis was gone when he awoke.
Millions in insurance rebates coming to South Carolina families
- Nationally, nearly 7 million consumers nationwide will receive about $330 million in refunds. The refund nationally will average about $80 per family.
More girls now getting cervical cancer vaccine
- Last year's rise follows a couple of years when the HPV vaccination rate was flat.
Number of people with HIV unchanged since 2012
- UNAIDS estimated there were about 35 million people living with HIV last year and in 2012.
Marijuana oil trials on the way to Augusta in the near future
- The Governor came to Augusta Tuesday to meet with GRU leaders and a pharmaceutical company about making cannabis oil trials happen.
MIT finger device reads to the blind in real time
- MIT Media Lab researchers say the device can read books, restaurant menus, business cards and other texts.
CDC to sleepy drivers: Hit the hay, not the road
- According to a new government survey, about 1 in 25 adults say they recently fell asleep while driving.
Georgia launches Alzheimer's, dementia plan
- Officials say additional details on the plan and upcoming projects may be found online.
Mosquito season brings new disease
- Mosquito season is kicking off, and it's bringing a new sickness with it called Chikungunya. There's one confirmed case in south Georgia, and a mosquito expert says it's just a matter of time before it makes its way here. News 12's Jorge Lopez tells us how the virus made it to the states and what you need to know about it.
Dr. Oz scolded at hearing on weight loss scams
- Oz was scolded at a Senate hearing by Chairman Claire McCaskill for claims he's made about weight-loss aids on his TV show, "The Dr. Oz Show."
FDA prepping long-awaited plan to reduce salt
- The Food and Drug Administration is preparing voluntary guidelines asking the food industry to lower sodium levels, FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg told The Associated Press. Hamburg said in a recent interview that the sodium is "of huge interest and concern" to the agency.
Veteran says VA Hospital Director's letter is just "pretty words"
- The battle continues as veterans fight for better care at VA hospitals here in Augusta and nationwide. Friday, News 12 got a letter from the director of our local VA Hospital outlining improvements in the facility. It comes just days after a federal audit highlights serious problems in care. News 12's Christie Ethridge sat down with a veteran who read the letter himself who says it all sounds good, but to him, it's just words.
Sen. Tim Scott wants SC veteran facility audit
- Data released Monday showed patients seeking care through Columbia's VA hospital wait an average of 77 days for their first appointment with a primary care doctor — more than five times longer than the department's goal.
Second hospital turns in Certificate of Need; 1 left
- University Hospital turned in its Certificate of Need on May 30. Doctors Hospital's deadline is coming up in the next month.
South Carolina girl's GoFundMe account breaks record
- A gene therapy trial scheduled for late 2014 is the family's only hope to make sure irreversible brain damage and the ability to speak isn't lost forever, the GoFundMe website said.
More HealthTeam12 Headlines