Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control has confirmed the first flu-associated death of the season.
The victim was a child from Barnwell County.
DHEC is also noting an "earlier-than-normal increase in influenza activity," saying it has reached "widespread" levels in the state.
Flu symptoms include:
- Sudden onset of fever
- Dry cough
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion or stuffiness
DHEC also released the following flu prevention guidelines:
- Staying away from people who are sick.
- Staying home from work, school and errands if you are sick.
- Covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue if one is handy. Throw it away immediately after use. Otherwise, use your upper sleeve.
- Washing your hands often and thoroughly.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when someone touches something that is covered with germs and then touches their eyes, nose or mouth.
For more information on the flu, click here. To find a vaccination clinic near you, click here.