Live Blog: Boston Marathon bombing kills 3, injures over 130

By: Kara Apel with reports from CBS News & The Associated Press
By: Kara Apel with reports from CBS News & The Associated Press
More Video...
Tap the Picture to View the Slideshow

Monday, April 15, 2013

11:35 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- A person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that an 8-year-old-boy has been killed in the explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Police say three people were killed in the blasts. They provided no details, but someone who spoke to a friend of the family and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity to protect the family's privacy confirmed that an 8-year-old boy was among the dead.

The person said the boy's mother and sister were also injured as they waited for his father to finish the race.

The explosions injured at least 144 people, 17 critically.

9:32 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Police say at least three people have been killed in the explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Police commissioner Ed Davis confirmed the three deaths but provided no details.

The explosions Monday also injured more than 130 people, knocking spectators and at least one runner off their feet.

Some of the victims lost arms and legs. Other injuries included broken bones, shrapnel wounds and ruptured eardrums.

8:15 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Authorities say bombs that exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon have killed two people and injured more than 120.

Eight hospitals report that they are treating at least 124 people. Of those, at least 15 are in critical condition.

The injuries ranged from cuts and bruises to amputations. Many victims suffered lower leg injuries and shrapnel wounds. Some suffered ruptured eardrums.

Dr. Richard Wolfe, chief of the department of emergency medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, says one or two of the hospital's 21 patients faced a "high probability of mortality."

7:10 p.m.

News 12 has confirmed that marathon John Head of Aiken is OK, confirmed by his son.

Marathon runners Craig Cooper and Miriam Cortez-Cooper of North Augusta are also OK, according to their son.

6:25 p.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Obama: Those responsible for explosions "will feel the full weight of justice."

6:21 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police say no suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Police Commissioner Edward Davis also says that the fire at a library a few miles away and more than an hour later doesn't appear to be related to the explosions at the race on Monday. He says the fire may have been caused by an incendiary device.

Authorities say the blasts killed two people and injured at least 73.

Police say it's too early to get into specifics about the nature of devices or whether shrapnel was involved.

6:07 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police commissioner: JFK Library fire doesn't appear to be related to race explosions.

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police commissioner says no suspect is in custody in marathon explosions.

5:53 p.m.

Obama to make statement on Boston explosions

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama will issue a statement on the explosions at the Boston Marathon in televised remarks to the nation from the White House.

Obama was briefed on Monday's explosions by FBI Director Robert Mueller and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. The White House said the president also spoke with Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino and pledged to provide whatever federal support was needed in responding to the incident.

Obama has been monitoring the situation in Boston since news of the explosions first broke.

5:48 p.m.

Phone companies: Cellphone use heavy, but still operating in Boston after explosions

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Cellphone companies say service is operating in the Boston area, but with heavy traffic following of the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

A law enforcement official, citing an intelligence briefing, said cellphone service had been shut down Monday in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.

But officials with Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel said there had been no such requests.

Sprint spokeswoman Crystal Davis said: "Minus some mild call blocking on our Boston network due to increased traffic, our service is operating normally."

Two people were killed and scores injured when two explosives detonated near the finish line of the marathon.

5:44 p.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Secret Service says it has expanded its security perimeter at the White House following the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan says the measure was taken "out of an abundance of caution." He says it is not unusual to expand or contract the security perimeters.

Shortly after the explosions Monday, Secret Service shut down Pennsylvania Avenue outside the White House, cordoning off the area with yellow police tape. Several Secret Service patrol cars also blocked off the entry points to the road.

The White House was not on lockdown and tourists and other onlookers were still able to be in the park across the street from the executive mansion.

5:26 p.m.

Marathon runners Barbara Rose and Tina Stutt of North Augusta are said to be OK. This was confirmed through a friend who spoke to them.

5:05 p.m.

Boston police: 3rd explosion at library

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police say there's been a third explosion in the city, following two blasts near the finish line of the Boston Marathon that killed two people and injured many others.

Police Commissioner Edward Davis says authorities aren't certain that the explosion at the JFK Library was related to the other blasts, but they're treating them as if they are.

David says there are no injuries stemming from the third explosion.

He urged people to stay indoors and not congregate in large groups.

Official: Cellphone service shut down in Boston

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A law enforcement official says cellphone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.

Authorities have not identified what caused the explosives that erupted at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

The explosions have killed two people and injured at least 23 others.

4:58 p.m.

Marathon runner Dr. Michael Rogers of Augusta is said to be OK. His office says he finished the marathon close to the time before the explosions.

4:53 p.m.

The Boston police commissioner says there has been a third incident at the JFK Library. It has not been confirmed if this is related to the other two explosions.

4:50 p.m.

Dr. Michael Rogers of Augusta is OK, according to his office's Facebook page:
"We just received a message from Dr. Rogers that he is okay and the explosion happened right after he crossed the finish line. It was only minutes behind him. We want to thank God for watching over him and we are sending prayers to those who have been hurt."

Image from Rogers & Andrews Orthodontics

4:38 p.m.

According to The Daily Gamecock, the student newspaper at the University of South Carolina: "Seven athletic training students and two certified athletic trainers from USC were at the Boston Marathon earlier today when two explosions caused about two dozen injuries and at least two deaths, according to Boston police.

The nine-person delegation was all safe and accounted for as of Monday afternoon and were treating injured athletes and spectators in 'outside ERs,' according to Toni Torres-McGehee, graduate director of athletic training education."

4:35 p.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Federal Aviation Administration is warning pilots that it has created a no-fly zone over the site of two explosions at the annual Boston marathon.

The agency said in a notice issued Monday about an hour after the explosions that a no-fly zone with a 3.5-mile radius has been created over 811 Boylston Street. The zone is limited to flights under 3,000 feet in altitude, which is lower than most airliners would fly except when taking off or landing.

The notice says the no-fly zone is effective immediately and will remain in effect until further notice. Pilots planning flights were urged to call their local flight service station.

4:24 p.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A senior U.S. intelligence official says two more explosive devices have been found near the scene of the Boston marathon where two bombs detonated earlier.

The official said the new devices were being dismantled.

It was not immediately clear what kind of devices had been found Monday. The official said the first two did appear to be bombs.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.

The official said it was not clear what the motive was or who may have launched the attack.

4:20 p.m.

According to the Boston Marathon website, the following people were registered to run from our area. It has not been confirmed if all of these people were at the race or not. News 12 is working to confirm the whereabouts of the following people:

Head, John
Roloff, Michael

Rogers, Michael
Sizelove, Lj
Winsor, Raye

Gagnon, Todd
Salman, Laura

Cooper, Craig
Cortez-Cooper, Miriam
Rose, Barbara

4:17 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police say two people were killed and 23 people were hurt when a pair of bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

The blasts shattered the end of the race Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

4:11 p.m.

From The Associated Press: "Boston Police Department: 2 dead, 23 injured in 2 explosions near marathon finish line."

Tweets from the assistant news editor at The Daily Gamecock:

"7 athletic training students and 2 certified athletic trainers from #UofSC are at the #BostonMarathon. All are accounted for and safe."

"The #UofSC athletic training students are currently treating runners and victims of the explosion, per the graduate director."

4:07 p.m.

BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Marathon says that bombs caused the two explosions heard at the finish line and that organizers were working with authorities to determine what happened.

Organizers made the announcement on the groups' Facebook page on Monday.

Authorities have headed onto the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the site.

3:55 p.m.

AUGUSTA, Ga. (WRDW) -- News 12 contacted the Richmond County Sheriff's Office to ask what the emergency plan would be at a major sporting event like the Masters.

Capt. Scott Gay says the Richmond County Sheriff's Office is part of a regional response team with the FBI and that they place people in strategic locations with equipment for such emergencies. They also have a bomb-sniffing dog team.

3:15 p.m.

BOSTON (CBS NEWS / AP) -- Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers in the 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts.

A U.S. official says at least a dozen people were injured with no confirmed fatalities, CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reports.

WBZ-TV says the medical tent near the end of the marathon course has been filled with many people who have been "gravely injured."

Competitors and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another thunderous explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

It happened around 2:45 p.m. outside Marathon Sports on Boylston Street, according to Lis Hughes, who was near the scene covering the marathon.

There were two "incredibly powerful explosions just seconds apart," according to WBZ-TV's Lis Hughes.

Runner Laura McLean of Toronto said she heard two explosions outside the medical tent.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," McLean said. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

(Copyright 2013, CBS News and The Associated Press)

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203068351 -
Gray Television, Inc.