Friday, July 5, 2013
TRAVELERS REST, S.C. (AP) -- A Travelers Rest man has died after a firework exploded in his hands on July Fourth.
The Greenville County Coroner's Office says 54-year-old Robin Rhodes Smith died on the way to a hospital around 9:45 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses say Smith had been shooting fireworks in his yard. A mortar round-type with a 4-inch opening at the top, failed to ignite.
Investigators say Smith took the firework out of the ground and used a pocket knife to install a new fuse. Witnesses say Smith was holding the firework against his chest when it went off.
An autopsy was scheduled Friday.
(Copyright 2013, The Associated Press)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.