Thursday, Aug. 21, 2014
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A U.S. official says the Islamic State militants who beheaded American journalist James Foley in Syria had demanded $132.5 million -- or 100 million Euros-- in ransom for his release.
A second U.S. official says the demands were sent in emails to Foley's family in New Hampshire. Both officials spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the ransom demands by name.
Separately, Foley's former employer said that the militants first demanded the money late last year.
GlobalPost CEO Philip Balboni also indicated that European governments paid far less to have the Islamic State release their hostages.
U.S. policy prohibits the government negotiating with terrorists, including paying ransom.
A video of Foley's beheading was released on websites Tuesday.
(Copyright 2014. The Associated Press.)