Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press
(Credit: MGN Online)

(Credit: MGN Online)

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A Columbia firefighter rushing to a call during a thunderstorm left a pot of grease on a stove that caused a blaze in the kitchen of a fire station.

Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said sprinklers helped contain the blaze Monday evening before firefighters could get back to the station, but the fire still caused $20,000 in damage.

Jenkins says the fire station was empty when the grease caught fire because all the firefighters were responding to several call during a thunderstorm.

The fire chief says he knows some people might laugh at a firefighter causing a fire. But Jenkins says it shows fires can happen anywhere and no one is immune from a careless mistake that might spark a blaze.

(Copyright 2013, The Associated Press)


WRDW.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1212 Augusta, GA 30903 Main Telephone: (803) 278-1212 Newsroom: (803) 278-3111 Fax: (803) 442-4561
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 212025921