Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013
CLEVELAND (AP) -- The man convicted of imprisoning three women in his Cleveland home for a decade has apologized to his victims but also claims most of the sex was consensual.
Ariel Castro says he isn't a monster. He says he's sick and addicted to pornography. He says he didn't even plan the first kidnapping.
He says he knows what he did was wrong, but that he's not a violent person and that his captives asked for sex and weren't tortured.
The women described horrific conditions in the home, which Castro turned into a jury-rigged prison.
Castro spoke during his sentencing hearing Thursday where a judge could order him to serve life in prison plus 1,000 years.
The 53-year-old Castro pleaded guilty last week to 937 counts.
(Copyright 2013, The Associated Press)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.