She’s a Graniteville native and someone whose funeral will draw lots of loved ones. Henriella New was one of two women who died in a fire on Thanksgiving morning. In a story you’ll see only on 12, her family and friends speak out about their tragic loss.
“I said something bad’s gonna happen. I said I don’t know what, but I said it’s gonna be someone close to me that’s gonna get hurt,” said Patricia Boyd, cousin.
Call it intuition, or maybe even a sixth sense, but to Patricia Boyd that someone turned out to be her cousin 72-year-old Henriella New.
“And it’s hard,” Boyd said.
It’s been just 48 hours since family and friends heard Henriella had died of carbon monoxide poisoning during a fire in a North Augusta home. 95-year-old Ollie Owens also died.
“I just worry about it. I hope she didn’t suffer. You know, I just hope she didn’t suffer and I don’t know, I hope she didn’t,” said Pat Courtney, friend.
Those close to Henriella say she was there taking care of the elderly woman, something she’s done for many people her entire life.
“If she saw you and you needed help, she wouldn’t even have to know you, she’d be there to help you,” Boyd said.
But behind the tears are memories that will last forever. Patricia reflects on stories of yard sales, flea markets and countless cups of coffee.
“Everyone that met her just fell in love with her,” Boyd said.
And even on this day, Thanksgiving 2005, Henriella had something to do, to try to rescue a bed-ridden woman, risking and losing her life to do so.
“People that knew her, ain’t nobody say anything bad about her,” Boyd said.
And one other woman, Jenette Carmony, was also caught in this fire but she escaped with burns to her hands and feet. Investigators believe it was faulty wiring that caused the fire.