June 29, 2010
CHARLESTON, S.C.---Gov. Mark Sanford vetoed incentives for film and TV productions from a budget the state Senate has been working on. The budget already included deep cuts that mean hundreds of state workers and teachers will lose jobs, while others will have to take furlough days.
In the past year, the state paid $7 million in incentives for TV shows filmed in South Carolina. The Lifetime show "Army Wives" came to Charleston in 2006 because of the rebates.
The "Army Wives" crew says they've pumped $100 million into the local economy since then, along with salaries and wages. They say that's kept local businesses from closing, and they also argue TV shows stay in town longer than movies.
"We're not like a feature who comes in and leaves and gets the benefits the state has to offer," said producer Harry Bring. "We're here and give much more than a feature has to offer."
Bring says shows can also boost the profile of a city for tourism, but if the incentives are cut, the show may be over.
Both the South Carolina House and Senate have voted to override Sanford's veto.
Exact numbers on the budget aren't clear yet. The new fiscal year starts Thursday, July 1.